Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mama Rika Missionary Update

Normal Pday stuff, and Had FHE with a couple of different families.
After we finished up helping at the food pantry, we visited a couple of investigators. One of them, we shared a couple scriptures with, and she said she wanted to come to church. She also said she'd start reading the "mormon bible" which, while not entirely accurate, is exactly what we wanted her to do.
We also attended a farewell party with for the B family. They're moving, and will be sorely missed here in the branch. We had a couple investigators in attendance who really bonded well with the members. It was a good way to help them become more familiar with the branch.
Something cool I've started doing in my studies is marking the genealogies throughout the Book of Mormon and Bible. It has actually been very enlightening as I've also tried to create a timeline to help me understand when all these people lived. I have to say, the timeline starts getting really inaccurate after Noah's flood, but it at least gives me a general outline to look at.
We saw some investigators before we grabbed a quick lunch and rushed off to a different investigator. Wednesday was very rushed. We taught the investigators about the Gospel of Jesus Christ lesson, which normally should take an hour. Well it ran a little over because they had plenty of great questions. When we finished teaching them the Gospel, they were extremely persistent that we teach them about tithing and fasting as well. Normally we would try to post-pone it till the next time, but with their insistence, we taught that as well.
After about two and a half hours, we finished up the Gospel of Jesus Christ lesson, Tithing, Fasting, went over the baptismal interview questions, answered questions about, why bad things happen to good people, as well as a myriad of other doctrinal things. Phew!
We rushed back to Richlands to see some other investigators. Well, when we got the there, the mom had a pounding headache, and the dad was practically falling asleep as we read with them. I'm not sure what they got out of it, but they insisted we still read with them.
We helped the B's move for the majority of the day. Their youngest daughter (2 yrs) was so cute,several times she would just run up to me and give me a huge hug, and say "missionary" It was great. We're definitely gonna miss that family.
It got pretty dang hot today, especially with the humidity. It was over 100 degrees, and yes, the humidity does make it worse compared to 100 in AZ. Thankfully, most of the day was spent inside teaching someone, not a lot of outside service, or tracting.
A big storm hit a lot of the parts of the mission, apparently trees were being uprooted in some areas. About 70% of the missionaries in our mission were out of power that night and about 50% still are today, a couple days later.
Thankfully, we didn't have any problems.
 Taught some people, and had dinner with the C's. They set off some early fireworks for us, and somehow that turned into a water fight.
Had a great day at church. Sacrament meeting was interrupted by a hailstorm with nickle to quarter sized hailstones. It was pretty intense. We couldn't hear the speaker for a while because they were rattling so hard on the trailer's roof.
Well, that's all for this week. The last part was a little rushed due to time constraints, if you really want more details, I'm sure that I would be more than willing to accept a letter letting me know. ;)
Love ya!
Elder Brayden Connole

No comments: