Monday, April 1, 2013

Mama Rika Missionary Update...Easter is Always Good




Tuesday

A fairly slow day overall. E. Brandon was still recovering, and we took care of some much needed shopping and laundry and such. We didn't go to dinner with a member that night because we didn't know if E. Brandon was contagious or not. 

Wednesday:

Most of the day was spent with specialized training. It was a really good one. Lately the mission has been struggling with getting investigators out to church. Every other key indicator number has been really good, but our Sacrament Meeting attendance has been abnormally low. A lot of the Specialized training was spent role-playing and practicing ways to help our investigators get out to  church. 

After the specialized training, As a zone we went to go bowling at Lee-hi lanes. It was really cool to see everyone in their white shirts and ties together like that.Our Zone did really well, we had the top two High scores in the mission at 181 and 173. I didn't do too great, I only had 1 strike between the two games we bowled. I was picking up spares like crazy though. I think I bowled a 125 and a 115 or something like that. Not the best game I've ever played, but a lot of fun for sure. 

Thursday:

So we had a pretty fun surprise on Thursday. We got a text from the C family from Richlands Virginia (my second area) who said that they were in town for a doctors appointment and wanted to take me and my companion out to lunch. How great is that? I haven't seen them for about 7 months or so. M has lost almost 130 lbs since I last saw him. It was ridiculous. He was so much smaller than before! It was so good to see them all.

Later that day we needed to drive down to Martinsville for a couple of baptismal interviews. We didn't get home till around 9:30. It was a pretty long day.

Friday:

Since we had so many trips to Martinsville this month, we were running low on miles. So, we basically walked around all day to our different appointments. We did have a cool miracle the Lord blessed us with.  

We came home for dinner, and after we settled for a bit, we realized that our plans had all fallen through for the evening. We couldn't decide what to do, and so we started to study a bit for the rest of our dinner hour. I read a really great article in the ensign about the need for the atonement. It made me realize how much I needed the Atonement in my life, and I needed to rely on my Heavenly Father more than my personal power. I read through my Patriarchal Blessing a few times, and after feeling very spiritually blessed. I went to the other room. E. Brandon suggested that we should go see Bro. L (a less active member). I agreed and off we went. 

About halfway there, I started doubting whether or not we really should "waste" our limited mileage allotment, especially since we'd just be travelling there and back, no other appointments along the way. Well, I still felt good about it, so we kept on.

Mind you, Bro. L is ALWAYS home. He can't really leave because of his wife's condition. Well, he wasn't home, or at least didn't answer the door.

Perplexed and a little disappointed, we trudged back to the car. I suggested that we try and talk to their neighbors before we call it quits, and E. Brandon said he was thinking the same thing. 

The lights were on next door, so we tried that on first. A young man answered the door (age 18) and we talked with him about Bro. L for a bit. We then said that we had prepared a message on the Atonement for Bro. L, but since Bro L wasn't home, we wanted to give it to him instead. He let us right in, and we had a great lesson, perfectly adapted to his needs. Now M, the young man, is really excited about lds.org and all the resources, especially the Atonement article in the march ensign. It was a really awesome lesson. And the lesson we had prepared for Bro. L really was for M in the end.

Saturday;

Saturday was pretty long as well. We walked all day long, again since we were out of miles. We talked to tons of people, and even taught a lady on her porch.The bishop, somehow knowing our need of nourishment after a long tiring day, called us and told us he wanted to feed us that evening. What an inspired man.

Sunday:

So it was a good day and a bad day. Bad because no investigators made it to church. Good because Easter is always good, and some wonderful members had us over for an Easter feast. It was so good. I'm a simple guy. If you feed me some good food, suddenly the world just seems so much brighter.

that's all for this week!

Love ya!

Elder Brayden Connole

No comments: