Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mama Rika Missionary Moment

Late again getting this out for the week.  Pretty soon this boy will be home.  At that point, it will probably be the demise of this blog and the start of a new one that yields more than just my missionary's updates that this one has evolved into.  Have a great week!  mlc  

Monday:

Monday morning we were pretty exhausted. We had a really relaxed pday. We had dinner with the Y Family, and we taught an investigator at their house. Our next appointment fell through, so we went home and set up appointments for the rest of the week.

The Travelling Assistants then gave us a call. They told us they were on their way over and were staying the night. They got a late start on their trip to Buena Vista, and just decided to finish the trip the next morning. It was great to have them there.

Tuesday:

We had a pretty good day on Tuesday. We went to go visit a member who was in the hospital. While we were there, one of his neighbors who we had started teaching a few weeks earlier showed up! We taught her while we were there in the hospital. It was a great little blessing that the Lord placed in our hands.

We were booked for the evening, so we didn't end up eating dinner till 9pm.

Wednesday:

Wednesday was weird. I guess I was probably more tired than I originally thought. I also didn't sleep well that night. I woke up at 1:30 am, thinking it was 6:30am. I got up and started getting ready for the day, but gave up when I saw the clock in the kitchen telling me to go back to sleep for 5 more hours.

Well, the 6:30 alarm didn't wake me up. (which NEVER happens) but thankfully it went off again 5 minutes later, and that one did wake me up. Again I started getting up for the day, but I felt almost as if It was still 1:30. I felt horrible as I started to work out, horrible as a took a shower, and horrible as I started breakfast. So I told E. Peterson I was going to lie down for a few minutes, and I passed out for another 6 hours.

I've never felt more exhausted in my life. It was ridiculous. I felt better after the nap, and we worked the rest of the day without any problems.

We did have one cool thing happen. We stopped by a member to see if he'd be able to come out with us later that week. (his phone is out, otherwise we would've just called him.) He had brought his sister to church with him a few weeks earlier, and she had received a gospel principles book. She was there, and we started talking with her. Come to find out, she had read almost the whole gospel principles book and loved it! Awesome!

Thursday:

We did our weekly planning and whatnot. Then we had an appointment in town with an investigator. We were supposed to meet by the water fountain, but they never showed up. We started to walk home, and on the way, we ended up teaching two other lessons to three new investigators.

One of the people we taught just stopped us on the street, and asked us for a bible. We gave him a BoM and explained what it was. He thought that was pretty cool, and even offered to buy us a hot dog. (if we hadn't just eaten, I would've said yes. They smelled delicious.)

Later that evening, we had a member with us. He bought some groceries for a needy investigator. As we were leaving, the investigator told us that he wanted to be baptized. We were kind of dumbstruck. I wasn't really expecting it at all. Since it was late, we told him we'd go over that more in detail next time.


Friday:

We drove up to Charleston for our interviews with President Pitt. Things went really well. I always love doing that.

The trip home was long and exhausting and when we got back we did... something... well... I didn't write anything down in my journal about it...hmmmm. I'm sure it was great, whatever we did.

Saturday:

Ok, so on Saturday we had an appointment with that investigator who asked about baptism. He's really lonely and likes to talk, so he talked to us for about an hour or so. When we told him we had to leave to our next appointment, he said, "Wait! Hold on, we haven't even talked about baptism yet."

So we sat and discussed baptism for a while. He told us that he'd been baptized about a month ago, but now he was pretty sure that the guy who baptized him didn't actually have the authority to do so. He also told us that he thought our church did have that authority.

 Meanwhile I'm thinking, "is this guy for real? Nobody out here has any sort of concept of priesthood authority. It's often the biggest hold up that people have with the church. And he's telling us the other guy didn't have proper authority! Awesome!"

So that was pretty cool.

Sunday:

We had 6 investigators show up to church! Yes! It was fantastic. That's the most I've had in a single week for my whole mission! Great things are happening here.

We taught a family that has some rowdy kids. We showed them the restoration dvd, and they finally got something out of the lesson! Yes!


No comments: