Monday, June 30, 2008

The Ordinary

Not like ordinary raisins, these are plump, sweet, and juicy. That's what it said. Right on the package of raisins. I had to chuckle because the description seemed to aptly describe a raisin, to me at least. Sure enough, the raisins in the package tasted just like ordinary raisins--plump, sweet, and juicy.

So, ordinary...what is ordinary? Being in the modern world, I don't consult Websters. Instead, I surf over to dictionary.com where I discover this definition: "of no special quality or interest; commonplace; unexceptional". I go with commonplace. If it is commonplace, it would be simply normal, everyday things that we see, hear, taste, touch and feel on a regular basis.
What if we could take some of those ordinary things and view them in a different way. It sure brightens a day to do so.
Finding a way to highlight an ordinary thing can give your day a boost. For example, we took an ordinary potato and paired it with two unusual potatoes to create a nice message.



Sometimes you can find extraordinary things lurking in ordinary places. See what we found in a box of Raisin Bran?




Then there are times when ordinary things drive you crazy. Here are some ordinary tumbleweeds (there were 100's and 100's of them) that decided to create a huge disposal problem. A real pain at the time, but now we are glad we have pictures and can say to each other, "Hey, remember when..."



As I go about my day today, I am going to find ways to boost the ordinary, commonplace and/or mundane thing. I want to elevate it to a higher status. Just like those raisins were advertised as plump, sweet and juicy, I want to see things in a positive light. Afterall, if we called raisins what they are -- "shriveled, dried-up, black, concentrated grapes" -- who would eat 'em?

No comments: