Saturday, June 20, 2009

"There is Sunshine in My Soul Today" Marika Lee's Hymn & Scripture Study Sundays

In honor of sunny summer days, this week’s song is “There is Sunshine in My Soul Today". Click here for music. Click here if you want a free copy of my simple piano arrangement of several "sunny" tunes. (Audio included)

Scriptures for this song: Sunshine and light--great gospel parallels!
Isaiah 60:19
Psalm 16:9-11

Various facts:
Text by Eliza E. Hewitt (18051-1920)
Music by John R. Sweeney (1837-1899)

The story with the song:

Eliza Hewitt was a teacher until she had a serious spinal problem. The problem caused her to be an invalid for the rest of her life, but it was at that time that she turned to writing hymns. This hymn was apparently written in gratitude after having a heavy cast removed that she had worn for six months.

John R. Sweeney was a respected secular music leader. In 1871, he had a spiritual awakening and devoted his remaining years to writing for Christian ministries.
I am doing a little research online to find these things out. I also have a book entitled "Our Latter-day Hymns The Stories and the Messages" by Karen Lynn Davidson from which I am finding information on these songs. If you want more info, the aforementioned book and the Internet search engines can get you much more than the little bit I shared.

Did you Journal for 5
today?

No comments: