Monday, July 21, 2008

As Easy as Pie!

You know how it is when you plan to do something that really won't take much time at all...and then it does?? Happens all the time.

For instance, I had to make a "quick" trip to the grocery store the other day. I should have been in and out in 5 minutes or less. Pleasantly enough, someone I knew joined in the checkout line behind me. We hadn't seen each other for a while so we happily exchanged updates as the cashier tallied up my order.

We were just about to the end of the order when my friend politely asked what had happened to her doughnuts. Hmmm. Well there they were, being placed in my shopping cart as we spoke. Glad to have discovered the mishap before I carted home the goods, I paid for my items and left the shop, picking up a video at the customer service desk on my way out.

Pleased with my success at such a quick trip, I almost didn't notice the unusual items in one of the grocery sacks that I was loading into the car. I took a second look and discovered that I had acquired some fruit snacks and beef jerky. While those items might be tasty, I determined my friend would be missing them.

As I headed back to the store, I scanned the parking lot in case she hadn't made too hasty an exit. Alas, there was no sign of her. Figuring I had better get the items refunded on my receipt, I scurried back to the customer service desk. I turned in my receipt and the misplaced items. The clerk checked up and down the receipt twice--no charges! Apparently the cashier had given me those in addition to the doughnuts.

Sounded like the cashier, the bagger and the customer service clerk were under a fair amount of stress, so I just volunteered to take the bag of goods and drop them at my friend's house. (Do a good turn daily, right?)

And of course, you probably guessed the ending already...the mystery items did not belong to the doughnut lady! Back to square one. Rats!

Things like this really make one wonder--Who was it that said making pie was easy anyway?

P.S. Speaking of pie, I just listed a couple of blogs over there on the right, one of which is a recipe blog for recipes using unprocessed ingredients. The other has nothing to do with pie and not necessarily anything to do with easy either. Well, maybe a little bit. You might be able to find some games and other ideas to help make math a more inviting subject for your children.

No comments: