Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homemade Ranch Dressing & Random Kitchen Tips from Chef Maki

Anytime you cook something in the kitchen, it is nice to have a prep chef handy to get the ingredients and do other odd jobs.Always make sure to watch where you splash and splatter, especially if your view while cooking resembles mine.

For this particular recipe, let's begin with the end in mind. Voila! Homemade ranch in a mason jar.
This ranch is quite tasty and doesn't have any ingredients in it that I can't pronounce. (My Mama taught me that the more things on a label's list of ingredients you can't pronounce, the less likely it is to be a healthy product. -- you know, like dianalyne guanalytic sulfonate or some such junk.)
You will need:
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup Plain yogurt (click here for easy homemade crockpot yogurt.)
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1 tsp Dill weed
  • 1 Large clove minced garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1 TBS Dried parsley
  • 1 tsp Onion powder
You can try fresh dill, parsley or minced onion, but add more fresh than what is listed for dried above. Just whisk all the ingredients together with a wire whisk. If you make it in the blender, it will be runnier. After it is all mixed, pour it into a mason jar for storing in the fridge. When serving, use a spoon or pour it into a measuring cup that has a pour spout.

11 comments:

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Your prep chef is adorable, if a mite short for reaching all the shelves in the fridge. But I say prep chefs are all about looking cute and not doing much work anyways.

from Lana
http://www.blogger.com/profile/02611213515275316078

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a recipe for Ranch.

Cute pictures too!

Anonymous said...

Hee he can you believe "my" prep cook is now 16 and works in a restaraunt kitchen now ? [0= Your post is so CUTE. Thank you for the recipe ! Ranch is one of my most favorite dressings.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Anonymous said...

Okay, that does it. I've been putting off making my own ranch dressing because.... ???? I've no idea. You've convinced me to gather my ingredients and give it a whirl. Thank you!!

Have a lovely day, and I enjoyed my visit to your blog. :)

Blessings,
Shani

Anonymous said...

Great post! Someone gave me Ranch Dressing in a jar and I thought it was such a cool gift! Now I know how to make my own. Thanks for sharing the recipe with all of us at Tasty Tuesday!
-Kim

Kirstin said...

Yum, this sounds good. I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to try making homemade ranch because we can't seem to find a good storebought one.

Anonymous said...

That has to be the cutest little helper. Great recipe we love ranch at our house!

Lynn said...

Your little prep chef is the cutest ever, and so are all the sweet little faces shining back from your header.

Thank you for sharing the Ranch dressing recipe, too. It looks yummy. Do you use store bought mayonnaise, or make your own?

CompleteLee Blogger said...

I used Best Foods from Costco (Big huge jar). I made mayo once long ago. Maybe I should try it again.

Krisi and Adam said...

The Ranch sounds so yummy! Can't wait to try it out. Found you on the LDSBlogs site.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Sounds good. I love ranch!